Introductory Fencing Classes
Tidewater Fencing Club offers one-time, one hour introductory classes that allow participants to get a feel for the sport without making a full commitment to a beginner class.
Participants will Learn:
- a brief history of fencing as an Olympic sport
- about the safety rules and protective equipment
- basic fencing stance and movements (en garde, advance, retreat)
- how to use a fencing sword to execute a basic attack (lunge)
- how to use a fencing sword to defend against an attack (parry/riposte)
- Intro Classes are held most Fridays and occasionally on weekends— please see our calendar for exact dates and times.
- Class fee is $20 per student
- Appropriate for ages 8+
Equipment and Attire
All necessary fencing equipment is borrowed from the club during class. Students must wear proper clothing: t-shirt, stretchable/flexible long athletic pants, and sneakers. Fencing is a physical activity... expect to sweat!
- All participants must fill out a form for a free 7-day USA Fencing membership for insurance purposes. Minors must have a parent/guardian sign the form. The form may be printed out ahead of time and brought with a minor if parent is unable to attend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.