Introductory Fencing Classes
Tidewater Fencing Club offers one-time, one hour introductory classes that allow participants to get a feel for the sport without making a full commitment to a beginner class.
Participants will Learn:
- a brief history of fencing as an Olympic sport
- about the safety rules and protective equipment
- basic fencing stance and footwork movements (en garde, advance, retreat)
- how to execute a basic attack (lunge)
- how to defend against an attack (parry/riposte)
- Intro Classes are held most Fridays and occasionally on weekends— please see our calendar for exact dates and times.
- Class fee is $20 for an individual, or $10 per person for a group of 6 or more
- Appropriate for ages 8+, but youths below that age may also participate to assess their readiness for the sport
Equipment and Attire
All necessary fencing equipment is borrowed from the club during class. Students must wear proper clothing: t-shirt, stretchable/flexible long athletic pants, and sneakers. Fencing is a physical activity... expect to sweat!
In order to fulfill insurance requirements, all participants are required to be current members of USA Fencing. This can be satisfied by filling out a free USA Fencing Trial Membership Application. This trial membership is valid for 90 consecutive days following the date of signing. Please screenshot or print out a copy of the filled-out form to show us at your first class session.